ATOVS Soundings Products
|On October 17, 2016, at 03 Z, the Metop-1 AMSU-A Channel 15 instrument failed.
This degraded the IASI and ATOVS products, and they are not being made. A solution
is being worked on.
The Advanced TIROS Operational Vertical Sounder (ATOVS) consists of High Resolution Infrared Radiation Sounder (HIRS), the Advanced Microwave Sounding Unit-A (AMSU-A) and AMSU-B for retrieving temperature, humidity and ozone sounding in all weather conditions. The Microwave Humidity Sounder (MHS), developed by EUMETSAT, replaced AMSU-B on NOAA-19 and the European Metop satellites Metop-1 and Metop-2. Currently the ATOVS is generating products from the NOAA-19, Metop-1, and Metop-2. This instrument package provides information on temperature and humidity profiles, total ozone, clouds and radiation on a global scale to the operational user community.
Retrieval Orbital Data File (RODF)
AMSU Orbital Data File (AODF)
HIRS Orbital Data File (HODF)
NOTE: Stars indicate where product no longer exists due to the HIRS failure on NOAA-18.
There are two time periods available for each group of data:
– Time period 1 covers from 00z to 12z of the current day.
– Time period 2 covers from 12z to 24z of the current day.
The data are separated into the following groups:
- Retrieval Temperature: 40 levels of retrieved temperatures from 0.1 mb down to 1000 mb.
- Water Vapor Mixing Ratio: 17 levels of retrieved water vapor mixing ratios from 200 mb down to 1000 mb.
- Layer Precipitable Water: 15 layers of precipitable warer measured from 7-10 mb to 850-1000 mb.
- Layer Mean Virtual Temperature: 15 layers of mean virtual temperature measured from 7-10 mb to 850-1000 mb.
- Layer Thickness: 20 layers of thickness measured from 7-10 mb to 1012-1013 mb.
- Retrieval Parameters: 10 different retrieval parameters measured under RODF.
- Cloud Parameters: 5 different cloud parameters measured under RODF.
- Geopotential Height: 38 levels of geopotential heights from 0.1 mb down to 920 mb.
- LIMB-COR AMSU Brightness Temperature: 15 Channels of brightness temperatures.
- Retrieval Parameters: 8 different retrieval parameters measured under AODF.
- LIMB Adjusted HIRS Brightness Temperature: 19 channels of brightness temperatures.